Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Random Info

1) I haven't changed roommates...yet. Things have gotten better but I don't think my roommate has ears because whenever he is on the phone he is yelling, despite my repeated reminded to quiet down and the fact that he has those apple headphones with the thing (microphone?) you speak into. I told him today that if he doesn't change then I need to get out of here. At least he's not talking to his girlfriend all the time anymore. And, he understands my frustration, its just a matter of him doing something about it jeeze.

2) If you ever come to Sevilla don't accept any plants from the fat ladies that walk around by the Cathedral. They're gipsies and if you take the leaves they try to force into your hand they won't leave you alone until they get money. They're the only fat women in Sevilla too so they're easy to spot, especially since most have ginormous unibrows.

3) Look at a map of the streets of Seville and think how it would be to go through that...when there are few street signs.

4) I'll do a more in-depth food blog Katie (I still hate that word) when I actually start taking pictures of food or something. So far the residence hall is all about salad with tuna in it, french fries, and fish. We also have gazpacho (cold soup made from tomatoes but tastes like cucumbers), chicken finger-type things, this stuff that looks like bloody throw-up but actually tastes alright, bread, uhh some filet of carne misterioso, a rice dish that is bright yellow and only water to drink. The breakfast is pretty weak so I focus on my toast with what was some of the best jam I've had outside of mom's but has quickly lost its greatness. The ruffles that have ridges that I ate last night were great and made me feel happy when they hit my tongue.
Oh, well the few times I have eaten out have been at random restaurants with the guides during the first days in Spain, and one trip to McDonald's. I'll start with McDonald's, which is very weird. First, when you order, they don't take the next person's order until you have your food. As a result I spent 30 minutes waiting for my "McBacon." They are similar to the US in terms of the sodas, the McFlurries, Big Macs, fries and golden arches. But the service, and the amount of people that are that at any given time is completely different.
I dont really know how to explain the food from other restaurants since i didn't really know what it was when I ate it. They are very big on deserts, potatoes, pork, greens (which consists of pretty much anything that color) and fish. In fact, if you walk around the streets any time around 6 at night you will see what seems like 90% of Sevillanos eating ice cream. Maybe the same people just come back for more over and over again but it is actually ridiculous that I have seen 20x as many ice cream parlors as grocery stores. Red wine is obviously popular (vino tinto), sangria and beer are close behind.
I took a few pictures of the kitchen in my apartment. Its sooo awesome. Once again my sarcastic personality translates horribly into the 'blogosphere'. Whatever that is...why not blogocube or blogododecohedral? Its bs.

No drier...shit
self-explanatory
Weird toaster, you gotta like clip your bread into it.
I went to los Alcázares Reales de Sevilla today and would blog on it in this or now but I don't want to do it any injustice. I just looked and I took 265 pictures there and didn't even explore the whole palace. Lets just say its probably one of the coolest places I have ever been and I could spend my entire three months in there without being able to see everything. Strangely the only picture that I am in at this magical place was unable to be imported. Out of the 265 I took somehow it was a different file format? My camera is drunk. Here's a tease:

4 comments:

  1. Hey Scotty, so you starting to like fish yet? Nice to see that mom's jam is still the best. So if they eat so much ice cream how come only the gypsies are fat? Today's random thoughts were cool, as getting to understand the little differences is what is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no I don't like the fish yet. it's pretty gross but thats all fish. idk how they're not fat its ridiculous they eat more ice cream then the whole usa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow is Alcázares Reales de Sevilla amazing and beautiful. I googled it and there is some interesting history on Wikipedia also about this place. I am jealous, I wish I was there seeing all of this with you. Keep sending pics, and comments, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout out!! Hang in there with the food, I bet you'll find something you like. Two questions: is that a waffle maker next to your "toaster" and where can I get the curtains in your kitchen? Sweet.

    ReplyDelete