Monday, September 6, 2010

Bienvenidos a Sevilla

The view from my bus at the airport was great...

CIEE Study Center.  This is where I will be taking half of my classes. It is an old palace just north of the center of Sevilla. The classrooms are small but are pretty advanced in technology compared to the rest of the city. 
This is La Catedral de La Santa Maria de la Sede, it is the third largest church in the world and is the largest gothic church that there is. The church has been in the possession of both Muslim and Christian groups and the inside is incredible. I'll add photos of it when I can. Last time I was there there was a service going on. There is also an awesome tower that has been torn down and reconstructed multiple times by the different religious groups.

The cart conductors sit around all day smoking pipes or sleeping in there carts while the horses stomp there hooves and become restless. I think I have only seen people in them about five times but there are a ton of carts throughout the main plazas.

Most of the streets in Seville are tiny like this. They aren't labeled with names/signs and are not in any form of pattern or grid. It is incredibly difficult to understand where you are going and also to avoid mopeds and cars. Most of the calles have no more than 3 feet on each side to walk and there is a lot of waiting for cars to pass so you can walk past people coming the other direction.



1 comment: